What is Bariatric Surgery?
Bariatric surgery is a treatment option for patients with morbid obesity. This surgery helps you to loose weight by lowering the stomach capacity and increasing the gastro-intestinal motility.
>> There are several surgical options, each having their benefits and risks.
Types of Bariatric Surgery:
The choice of procedure should be made after a thorough discussion with your surgeon.
What are the advantages of Laparoscopic Obesity Surgery?
Less post operative pain, shorter hospital stay, early return to work, improved cosmetics are some of the benefits of such procedures.
Their is significant improvement in other obesity related Co-morbidities like depression, diabetes, blood pressure etc.
Is morbid obesity surgery for you?
You will qualify for surgery for morbid obesity if:
>>You are classified as ‘Morbidly Obese’(BMI more than 37.5)
>>Your BMI is 32.5-37.5 with severe obesity related medical conditions e.g. Diabetes, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Artheritis, Depression, Joint Pain, Infertility, Reflux Disease etc.
>>Other methods of weight loss (dietry/medicines) have been unsuccessful.
>>You are unable to perform routine activities due to weight problem.
>>You have understood the surgical procedure for weight loss.
How does this surgery change your life?
Lifestyle change depends on the kind of surgery a patient has.
Some common lifestyle adjustmants required are:
- Patient must learn to eat food in small amounts and to chew it well and slowly.
- Follow up is necessary in the first year after surgery and then as advised by your surgeon for dietary/nutritional counselling.
- Weight loss starts soon after surgery and continues for 2 years.
- Improvements occur in obesity related medical conditions, with almost 60% patients not requiring medications.
- Their is enhanced quality of life with improved stamina, mood, self confidence, body image and sexual life.
- Obesity surgery is not a cosmetic surgery, in fact plastic surgery may be required following weight loss after obesity surgery.
— By Dr. Arush Sabharwal
Weight Loss Solutions In